Province: British Columbia
Indication: ankylosing spondylitis
Medication: infliximab (Remicade®)
Listing Status: Listed—CBC
Eligible for PharmaCare coverage through our Special Authority Program for treatment of ankylosing spondylitis. Patients must meet criteria in A, B, C and D.
For coverage beyond one year, a rheumatologist must fill out a PharmaCare coverage annual renewal form. The criteria is the same as that for the initial form, yet asks questions about whether or not problems are resolved and the extent to which they remain a problem (ie. worse, none, mild, moderate, resolved).
- Medication is prescribed by a rheumatologist or medical specialist in rheumatology
Diagnosis of moderate to severe ankylosing arthritis.
- Extra articular manifestations,
- Positive imaging finding of ankylosing spondylitis
- Presence of spinal pain
- Tender joint count
- Swollen joint count
- Persistent inflammation
Active ankylosing spondylitis with a BASDAI score ≥ 4; specify patient's current value
Treatment failure of intolerance to:
- Three NSAIDS for a minimum of 2 weeks each at accepted maximum dosage
For Predominant Peripheral disease:
- Injections with long-acting corticosteroids have been tried
Patients is refractory to minimum 3 months trial of each of the following:
- Methotrexate up to 25 mg parenteral weekly
- Sulfasalazine up to 3mg daily
Medication pre-dates CDR, no review has been conducted.